Friday, April 13, 2007

Plot multiple point maps

I was going to gush over a make-your-own-map site, MultiPlottr I discovered recently. Then I noticed that Google has enhanced Google Maps to include "My Maps".

With both MultiPlottr and Google's My Maps, you can add several map points and assign text to the point for display in the normal Google pop-up balloon. But Google's My Maps appears to offer more and has the Google ease of use and cool minimalist interface we've come to expect from Google.

I tested MultiPlottr by plotting lots of places to eat around where I work. We may refer visitors to it in emails prior to visits. My recommendation -- try both and see what you like.

Update April 19:
While Google My Maps is great, it still cannot actually plot multiple exact addresses. You basically "swag it" by dragging the marker. Multiplottr, on the other hand, does let you add specific addresses, then plots them for you.

Update: April 21:
It's a different process than I anticipated. Google does let you locate an address, and then add it to a custom map in MyMaps. [There is still a 50 address limit per map, though.] Here's the process:
  1. Sign in to Google.
  2. If you have never created a map, click on the "My Maps" tab and create one. Then save that map.
  3. Search for an address or for business near that address (for example "restaurants near _____"). If you search for businesses or similar groups of addresses, each address listing in the search sidebar now has an "Add to My Maps" link. When you search for an individual address, the address marker balloon includes a "Save to My Maps" link.
  4. If you have more than one map, select the correct one via the drop-down box.
  5. Edit the marker balloon title and text. You can use the text tools to bold or color text and background. If you add a link in text for (including the http://), Google makes it a link.
  6. OK the results. Presto -- a new marker is plotted. You can plot up to 50 on one map.

1 comment:

Corey L. Kliewer said...

You should come back and see how Multiplottr.com has changed since the last time you have seen it.