Friday, October 18, 2013

My Windows 8.1 "update" experience

First, I would not call this an update. It's more like a refresh of the entire OS. Caution: The update takes quite some time to finish. So make sure no power outage is headed your way. Set aside at least 30 minutes.

As always, I recommend a backup of all your data before starting this major update. I use a custom batch program to backup all my new files to an external 2TB hard drive.

Tip: Check to see if your Antivirus software is compatible with Windows 8.1. Some companies (like ZoneAlarm) were a bit slow getting out an updated app. If there is a compatibility issue, disable the Antivirus and make sure Windows Defender is running before doing this OS update.

My system

  • Dell XPS 8500
  • 1TB HDD
  • 24GB RAM

My Windows 8 update (upgrade) experience

First try failed

  1. Logged in with my Windows Account ID and password (not a local account).
  2. Checked the Windows Store, expecting to see Windows 8.1 there. No. It was not listed.
  3. Did a web search and located a Microsoft web page with a link to download and install 8.1
  4. I chose that update link.
  5. The update process started with a huge download -- Gigabytes! That took a bit of time on my Comcast broadband connection even though it averages about 15Mbps for downloads.
  6. The actual install started.
  7. When the screen notice that the system was ready for a restart, I chose the "Restart" button.
  8. Problem. As the PC did a restart, it never proceeded past the Dell splash graphic. Even Ctrl+Alt+Delete failed to work.
  9. Shutdown PC.
  10. Restated PC.
  11. Windows announced that "we could not update the PC to 8.1".
  12. Windows restored Windows 8.0 without a problem .

Try # 2 succeeds

  1. I logged in again.
  2. Checked the Microsoft Store. It now showed the 8.1 update as the prime one (large and at left).
  3. I chose the update.
  4. The update detected that files were already downloaded. It completed the installation.
    Note: The last screen warns that the process will require several PC restarts. They don't lie.
  5. At the prompt to restart or close, this time I chose "Close".
  6. I then made sure all apps were closed and manually restarted the PC via the Charms Power Settings.
  7. The PC this time processed fine and at the Dell logo splash screen displayed the twirling dots "busy" cursor. (I find the two ways Windows 8 uses moving dots to show action kind of cute.)
  8. After a restart, "Setting up your PC" appeared. Then a restart.
  9. "Setting up Devices". Then a restart.
  10. "Setting up Devices" (yes, a second time). Then a restart.
  11. "Setting up your PC settings". Then a restart.
  12. "Setting up a few more things." Cute. I just laughed at this point.
  13. "Getting Ready".
  14. The license agreement screen appeared. I accepted.
  15. You must choose "Express" or "Customize" settings. You can change these settings later. I chose Express.
    A few pucker-factor Express settings you may want to consider:
    -- Send information to Microsoft to help improve software, service, and location services.
    -- Use page prediction in Internet Explorer. This preloads pages IE expects you to use next. This sends your browsing history to Microsoft.
    -- Let Windows use your name, account picture, and advertising ID, and request location from the Windows Location Platform.
  16. "Account Setup." Login with your Windows account. My method sent a security code to my cell phone, then I entered it to proceed.
  17. Auto-backup to SkyDrive (cloud). This backs up new photos and documents plus PC settings. There is a link to turn off this feature if you prefer. I left it at the default.
  18. "Hi", said Winny 8.1. "We're setting things up for you." This is taking a while. While this is processing, the background rotates through several attractive solid color backgrounds.
  19. "Installing your apps". This may be where Windows is installing the new Win 8.1 apps.
  20. "Taking care of a few things". The message line at the bottom reads, "Installing your apps", then later changes to "Don't turn off your PC". 
  21. "Let's Start"
  22. The Windows 8.1 Start Screen appears.

Post-install printing issue

After Windows 8.1 installed, all seemed well until I tried to print. No printers worked and trying to add or edit one resulted in some blank dialog boxes and an error message. Windows even failed to let me delete a printer listing and referenced Active Directory. Yipes! Active Directory!?

Finally -- before a reinstall of Windows and gnashing of teeth -- I tried something that many basic users might try first. I ran the printer troubleshooting wizard. Presto -- problem fixed.

The real cause of the problem was that the printing service had stopped. [hand-to-face] [embarrassed smile]. The troubleshooter worked like a charm detecting and fixing that. I had needless anxiety because I was expecting the issue to be complex.

No comments: